Re: Recovering from an XFS crash

To: Simon Matter <simon.matter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Recovering from an XFS crash
From: Glow Nair <zanchu_glow@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 07:33:35 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Glow Nair <zanchu_glow@xxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, jasonw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks Guys..

I did manage to boot to shell using the Linux Rescue
option on the SGI XFS CD .. I wonder if there is
any organized methodology to recover your partitions
etc. Something like this would be fit the bill:

====
1) Use the SGI XFS CD and type linux rescue
2) The system will attempt to find your old linux
   partitions (mine did not)
3) Check each of the filesystems using xfs_check
   xfs_check /dev/sda1
   and so on
4) If there are any errors, repair them using
   xfs_repair
   xfs_repair /dev/sda1
   and so on.
5) Manually mount each of the filesystems using
   mount -t xfs /dev/sda1 /dir1
6) Examine and verify your data
7) Next step...

====

I am writing this story as I travel through this
process..If there is anything written out like this
I'd DIE to get my hands on it..

In my case, I did not back up my /etc/fstab (yeah
pretty dumb).. so I guessed at most of it.. I could
mount /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2 etc but all the data seems
to have vanished.  Could this be because the
filesystem
type of "xfs" is wrong ?  I can only see the
directories but not the files themselves... it all
seems to have been "wiped out"

Any known vulnerabilities and patches would also be
appreciated.. both in Redhat and SGI XFS..

Glow Nair

--- Simon Matter <simon.matter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>