Fixed? xfs_alloc_lookup kernel oopses... Stupidity wins again!

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Fixed? xfs_alloc_lookup kernel oopses... Stupidity wins again!
From: Stuart Levy <slevy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 14:58:56 -0600 (CST)
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
I'd been getting frequent (every hour or two under heavy load)
NULL-pointer kernel Oopses in xfs_alloc_lookup,
using Jan 23 2.4.17 snapshot patch, and also with the full
CVS 2.4.18-xfs, compiled either with gcc 2.95.3 or 2.91.66.

Realized over the weekend that the machine has 1GB of RAM,
but I hadn't built the kernel with CONFIG_HIGHMEM!
Booted the existing kernel with mem=800M -- seemed to help --
and rebuilt 2.4.18-xfs with CONFIG_HIGHMEM (i.e. "4GB").
It hasn't crashed since then either.  Workload hasn't been
terribly heavy, but I think it would have died by now
if the old symptom hadn't been fixed.

Sorry to have bothered you all with this

   Stuart Levy, slevy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx