Fragmentation (was: XFS NFS server Oops)

Subject: Fragmentation (was: XFS NFS server Oops)
From: Federico Sevilla III <jijo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 09:37:43 +0800 (PHT)
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On 19 Mar 2002 at 16:47, Steve Lord wrote:
> xfs_db -r /dev/xxx (it can be mounted)
> xfs_db: frag -f

Cool. (Obviously I never really dug into the xfs_db manpage before to find
stuff like this out.) That seemed harmless so I checked out all my
filesystems.

I got fragmentation factors from a high of 50.92% (this is a filesystem
where I store huge tar.gz backups and not much else) to a low of 0.43% for
my / filesystem.

So now I wonder (trivial, really, but this might be FAQ-worthy):

a. At what fragmentation factor should we start considering running
xfs_fsr? Or should we just go with what the xfs_fsr manpage says and run
it in a crontab weekly?

b. I remember awhile back that xfs_fsr didn't come very highly
recommended. Is this still the case? Or can we use xfs_fsr on production
systems (during their more idle times, of course) and still be able to
sleep at night?

Thanks in advance! :)

 --> Jijo

--
Federico Sevilla III  :: jijo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Network Administrator :: The Leather Collection, Inc.