Re: xfs_repair problem

To: Benito Venegas <venevene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfs_repair problem
From: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 09:58:49 +1100
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 11:55:14AM -0500, Benito Venegas wrote:
> Hi boys and girls:

hi there Benito,

> I have a problem in one my servers in India.
> Local sysadmin lost access to /dev/sdb1 partition
> after blackout :/

Does that mean it failed to mount after the blackout?  Was there
a syslog message, if so?

> Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sdb1             1     13215 106149456   83  Linux
>
> The problem came to us, when local sysadmin in India had an old kernel
> version. (2.4.2)
>
> He traid to run xfs_reapir but after 10 minutes running, it gave this error
>
> xfs_repair:buf calloc failed cannot allocate memrory
>
> After that, I upgreaded kernel version and tools.
> We ran xfs_repair in single mode and now we got this message:
>
> xfs_repair running in single mode. waiting for any message.....
> error message:
> fatal error -- can't read block 0 for directory 210516126

[is "single mode" the same as "single-user mode"?]

Both of these error messages suggest that xfs_repair is running
out of memory.

> We don't want to run xfs_repair with -L switch option, to avoid loose
> important information (we do backups but runs once a day, and this
> happend before backup process :/ )

>From your description above, it sounds like -L will not be useful
to you (xfs_repair will tell you when the -L option could be useful).

> Doctors, any idea about if I can save this patient?
> :/

Can you send the full xfs_repair output, and see whether there's
anything else chewing up memory while xfs_repair is running, or
whether xfs_repair itself is the cause (run "top" while xfs_repair
is running, and keep an eye on memory use).  If you can cut and
paste all the output/save to a file and then send it to us, that
will be a help.

cheers.

--
Nathan