xfs/lvm problem, disappearing files

To: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: xfs/lvm problem, disappearing files
From: "Simon Pabst" <simon.pabst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 20:12:07 +0100
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,
I just experienced some problems with my xfs-lvm volume.
This volume is mounted via samba and I noticed some files and directories
were disappearing, a whole directory in which a task on the client machine
was
writing at this time appeared empty for ls -la (on the server of course).
I umounted the volume and tried to mount it again, which did not work (mount
did not
return). After a reboot I was able to mount again, the files seemed to be
fine, and I
did a xfs_repair on the volume to asure this, which repaired some
disconnected inodes.
Running xfs_repair again produces the same output again and again, so my
question is,
is my filesystem safe or should I backup data and mkfs it again?

system is redhat 7.1(roswell), kernel is  2.4.9-13SGI_XFS_PR1custom with lvm
from
this version (1.01rc4), running on an athlon 900, 512mb
mount options: /dev/vg02/lvol1  /fs3  xfs
defaults,noatime,nodiratime,logbufs=4   1 2
vg02/lvol1 is a 2-disk stripeset using 2 maxtor 80gb ide drives
/var/log/messages did not show any xfs-related information

output of xfs_repair:

root@judicator:~ > xfs_repair /dev/vg02/lvol1
xfs_repair: warning - cannot set blocksize on block device /dev/vg02/lvol1:
Inva
lid argument
Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
Phase 2 - using internal log
        - zero log...
        - scan filesystem freespace and inode maps...
        - found root inode chunk
Phase 3 - for each AG...
        - scan and clear agi unlinked lists...
        - process known inodes and perform inode discovery...
        - agno = 0
        - agno = 1
        - agno = 2
        - agno = 3
        - agno = 4
        - agno = 5
        - agno = 6
        - agno = 7
        - agno = 8
        - agno = 9
        - agno = 10
        - agno = 11
        - agno = 12
        - agno = 13
        - agno = 14
        - agno = 15
        - agno = 16
        - agno = 17
        - agno = 18
        - agno = 19
        - agno = 20
        - agno = 21
        - agno = 22
        - agno = 23
        - agno = 24
        - agno = 25
        - agno = 26
        - agno = 27
        - agno = 28
        - agno = 29
        - agno = 30
        - agno = 31
        - agno = 32
        - agno = 33
        - agno = 34
        - agno = 35
        - agno = 36
        - agno = 37
        - agno = 38
        - process newly discovered inodes...
Phase 4 - check for duplicate blocks...
        - setting up duplicate extent list...
        - clear lost+found (if it exists) ...
        - clearing existing "lost+found" inode
        - deleting existing "lost+found" entry
        - check for inodes claiming duplicate blocks...
        - agno = 0
        - agno = 1
        - agno = 2
        - agno = 3
        - agno = 4
        - agno = 5
        - agno = 6
        - agno = 7
        - agno = 8
        - agno = 9
        - agno = 10
        - agno = 11
        - agno = 12
        - agno = 13
        - agno = 14
        - agno = 15
        - agno = 16
        - agno = 17
        - agno = 18
        - agno = 19
        - agno = 20
        - agno = 21
        - agno = 22
        - agno = 23
        - agno = 24
        - agno = 25
        - agno = 26
        - agno = 27
        - agno = 28
        - agno = 29
        - agno = 30
        - agno = 31
        - agno = 32
        - agno = 33
        - agno = 34
        - agno = 35
        - agno = 36
        - agno = 37
        - agno = 38
Phase 5 - rebuild AG headers and trees...
        - reset superblock...
Phase 6 - check inode connectivity...
        - resetting contents of realtime bitmap and summary inodes
        - ensuring existence of lost+found directory
        - traversing filesystem starting at / ...
        - traversal finished ...
        - traversing all unattached subtrees ...
        - traversals finished ...
        - moving disconnected inodes to lost+found ...
disconnected dir inode 18376471, moving to lost+found
disconnected dir inode 18800263, moving to lost+found
disconnected dir inode 117385730, moving to lost+found
disconnected inode 150995073, moving to lost+found
disconnected inode 150995075, moving to lost+found
disconnected inode 150995076, moving to lost+found
disconnected inode 150995077, moving to lost+found
disconnected inode 150995078, moving to lost+found
disconnected dir inode 275899789, moving to lost+found
disconnected dir inode 310212310, moving to lost+found
disconnected dir inode 402676446, moving to lost+found
disconnected dir inode 506154388, moving to lost+found
disconnected inode 621161409, moving to lost+found
disconnected inode 621161443, moving to lost+found
disconnected inode 621161466, moving to lost+found
Phase 7 - verify and correct link counts...
done

as mentioned above, running xfs_repair again produces the same output.
thanks in advance

-simon pabst