Re: xfsdump & compression? (was: Re: xfsdump aborts after assertion fai

To: Esger Abbink <e.abbink@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfsdump & compression? (was: Re: xfsdump aborts after assertion failure)
From: Timothy Shimmin <tes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 14:05:29 +1100
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
my 2 cents...

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 02:52:13AM +0100, Esger Abbink wrote:
> So, as i understand it there is no "safe" compression aside from hardware
> compression while using xfsdump.

I think "safe" is a subjective thing here.
I think it is more a question of "safer".
Option 2 may still be considered viable for some.
If one has tape errors then things probably aren't going to be pretty ;-)
If one uses the tape strategy (e.g. by "-f /dev/st0" as opposed
to stdout), and something happens to the tape such that we
get an error on reading on restore - then it allows us to
move onto the next media file in the dump. But this is only
of some comfort -> the rest of the data in the corrupt media
file is gone, we may only have one media file, there may be
other errors in other media files.

(Hmmm.. and if one was desperate to restore as much as possible,
 and one had a tape error, then having gzip'ed data would
 probably make things pretty tricky to recover stuff.)

--Tim