AW: AW: best kernel version to use with XFS+LVM+MD

To: <be@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: AW: AW: best kernel version to use with XFS+LVM+MD
From: "mai99bxd" <mai99bxd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 01:21:39 +0100
Cc: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi

>I don't know of a 32 MB border for the external log volume. You can put
>just one log volume into a single partition. That's what LVM is good
>for. Make a physical volume on your RAID1 volume and you can put all
>your logical volumes for the log volumes onto that PV.

That's right. I have no experiences in LVM. Seems this a good design?

My current config:

 45GB IDE hda1 ( 16MB) -> /boot (ext2)
          hda2 (  5GB) -> RAID1 part of LVM sysVG (current empty space)
          hda3 (  8GB) -> RAID1 part of / (reiserFS)
          hda4 ( 32GB) -> RAID1 part of /home (reiserFS)
 45GB IDE hdc1 ( 16MB) -> /boot2 (ext2)
          hdc2 (  5GB) -> RAID1 part of LVM sysVG (current empty space)
          hdc3 (  8GB) -> RAID1 part of / (reiserFS)
          hdc4 ( 32GB) -> RAID1 part of /home (reiserFS)
 2GB SCSI sda1 (  2GB) -> swap

My planed RAID5:

100GB IDE hde1 (100GB) -> RAID5 part of LVM storageVG
100GB IDE hdg1 (100GB) -> RAID5 part of LVM storageVG
100GB IDE hdi1 (100GB) -> RAID5 part of LVM storageVG
100GB IDE hdk1 (100GB) -> RAID5 part of LVM storageVG

All RAID's are software (MD). Hardware is simple PC style.
 AMD K7 650MHz
 768MB PC100
 Gigabyte AMD 751 Chipset
 onboard IDE UDMA66 (hda, hdc)
 2x Promise Ultra 100 (hde, hdg, hdi, hdk)
 Adaptec 2940 with disk, streamer, 2x CDROM
 2x 3com 100 MBit/s NIC

I don't want change my current /boot, /, /home system. My storage space
(video, audio, install files) is on a single 100GB with single
filesystem (ReiserFS) now. This storage should migrate to the RAID5.

I will put several LV's like /storageVG/video /storageVG/mp3
/storageVG/source /storageVG/share on the RAID5. Most LV's should run
with XFS. The XFS log's go in LV's on the sysVG. The rest of the 5GB
sysVG is for backup und playing :-)

The server is a dedicated file/database server which provide files for
SMB, NFS(webserver) Clients and do some DB stuff for webservers.

My intentions are in this order: redundancy of data, stable and secure
system, good design, performance, coast minimization. A make regular
backups of /home and important peaces (small enough) of data. But I
can't backup the 300GB of volume data.

I have a UPS but no redundant power supply now.

Thank you for read my long posting. I hope you can make some annotations
to my design.

ALEX
http://alexk.homeip.net