Re: kernel panic (corruption of task struct)

To: Thomas Duffy <tduffy@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: kernel panic (corruption of task struct)
From: Stephen Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 13:45:52 -0600
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Thomas Duffy wrote:

I am running the 2.4.9-13SGI_XFS_1.0.2smp xfs kernel on a 2P athlon box.

I have been seeing random lockups every now and again for a few months
now (ever since upgrading to redhat 7.2)

I enabled kdb to see what happened.

Basically, cc1 is always the offending process.  I have seen this thrice
now.  It is causing the task_struct to be munged.  At offset 0x1c into
the struct, 4 copies of the uid and 4 copies of gid of the user who is
running the cc1 are being slammed in...causing the machine to panic.

I don't know if this is XFS related or not, but I thought I would
inquire on this list before taking it to a larger (lkml) audience.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

-tduffy

Stack overflow looks likely here. I don't know of any in xfs, but xfs in combination with other things might cause problems. We had one case in LVM snapshotting where LVM was putting large chunks of stuff on the stack. That code should not be in your
kernel though, unless you added it.

Steve