vmlinux.lds question

To: xfs ml <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: vmlinux.lds question
From: dirk <dirk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 12:39:45 +0100
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

When trying to recompile my 2.4.14 kernel I had a linking
error. I have succeeded in the past to compile this kernel
and as of now it doesn't work anymore.

I am using debian woody and I think that my current ld
differs somewhat from the one that I used when I succeeded
in the kernel compile. (last one 7 Dec, 2001)

ld complains about some "undefined reference to `local
symbols in discarded section .text.exit'"
In vmlinux.lds there is a "section to be discarded" section,
there ".text.exit" is mentioned.

What I did was comment out the line with ".text.exit" and
this works. But... to be honest I have no clue what I am
doing. Can someone enlighten me? Also, can I trust this
kernel? Actually I just wanted to make some additional
modules and ran in this problem, so a better question is,
can trust modules that I build this way?

Of course I can just try it out but before that I want to
understand a little what I have done.

Maybe useful:
ld is 2.11.92.0.12.3
ggc is 2.95.4