Fwd: Re: XFS with md device on RAID5

Subject: Fwd: Re: XFS with md device on RAID5
From: Adrian Head <ahead@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 07:07:29 +1000
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 4 Feb 2002 06:13, you wrote:
> My machine is a 1.8 P4 running two arrays of 12 100GB
> data drives each.  I am running Adaptec 3940UW SCSI
> adapters.  I installed your 1.02 SGI Installer with
> Redhat 7.2.  I reconfigured everything to a vanilla
> 2.4.10 kernel and everything is running well. The
> System drives are 60GB EIDE in RAID1 mode. Everything
> is XFS.
>
> I have about 40GB of room left on the system drives.
> Can I put the external logging for the two large
> arrays on the system drives?   Could you show me the
> steps necessary to do this?

Creating an external log AFAIK can only be done during a mkfs.xfs.  An
example showing mkfs.xfs and mount options can be found here:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-xfs&m=101221434621411&w=2

I expect you could have the logs on the system disks - you have to remember
that the logs have to be in their own partitions.  It is also nice to have
the logs on a raid1 device for fault tolerance.

--
Adrian Head

(Public Key available on request.)