Re: [NEWS] Extended attributes interface changes

Subject: Re: [NEWS] Extended attributes interface changes
From: Ethan Benson <erbenson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 21:38:49 -0900
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 11:52:38AM +0800, Federico Sevilla III wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Feb 2002 at 10:15, Nathan Scott wrote:
> > Yes, the ondisk formats remain unchanged, incl. the ondisk ACL format
> > (which is also the same as the IRIX/XFS Posix ACL format).
>
> So setups utilizing ACLs won't have to be redone, right? As long as we
> make sure that when we upgrade to an XFS-enabled kernel using the new
> system calls we also upgrade the userland stuff or we won't be able to
> modify or view the ACL rules. Did I get things correctly? :)

for XFS at least yes.  on disk format is unchanged, only the syscalls
are different.

however it looks like only the extended attributes syscalls have been
added to 2.5, there is still no ACL interface.  I assume that the ACL
userspace will have to change a second time when that API is accepted
into the mainline kernel?  has the ACL api been more or less agreed on yet?

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/