Re: xfs + rmap?

To: Adam McKenna <adam-dated-1013035813.5cd484@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfs + rmap?
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: 01 Feb 2002 17:08:06 -0600
Cc: Austin Gonyou <austin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 2002-02-01 at 16:50, Adam McKenna wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 04:52:30PM -0600, Austin Gonyou wrote:
> > I'd be happy to help you out. I'm looking to test both -aa and rmap.
> >
> > what is your current procedure for merging this?
>
> Right now I just applied both patches and I am looking at the .rej files.
>
> Currently, here are the issues I'm seeing -- I'm using the 2.4.17 snapshot
> from ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/download/patches/2.4.17/.
>
> issue 1 - fs/buffer.c:

This one is a little nasty in that it seems to remove the possibility of
a failure at this point, and with xfs in there we do a write_buffer_locked
call in place of the submit_bh we can definitely fail. I am guessing
a little bit since I need more context to really work it out, and I
am not really feeling like patching up yet another kernel version here.

> issue 2 - vmscan.c - see http://flounder.net/vmscan.c.rej for the .rej file.

I think you should just apply the rmap patch to a vanilla kernel and
take the resulting vmscan.c, then on the line which does this:

        if (PageDirty(page) && page->mapping) {

right at the end of the patch, change it to:

        if ((PageDirty(page) || DelallocPage(page)) && page->mapping) {

but I would really have to see the whole file to say for sure.

Steve