Re: AW: best kernel version to use with XFS+LVM+MD

To: mai99bxd <mai99bxd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: AW: best kernel version to use with XFS+LVM+MD
From: "Bernhard R. Erdmann" <be@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 23:29:17 +0100
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
> >These contributed kernels are just RedHat + XFS. No LVM. I should have
> >known this before I upgraded our department server heavily using LVM
> and
> >rebooted at 9:15h am. :-(
>
> You had the old kernel in lilo? ;-)

Not the old one of XFS 1.0.2 for RH7.1 from oss.sgi.com, but a very old
kernel compiled by myself. ;-)

Rebooted to single user mode using that very old kernel. All filesystems
online. Set up network with ifconfig. Ping fileserver. Listen on a TCP
port with netcat's output redirected to a file in /tmp. Tar the original
RPMs on the fileserver and pipe with netcat to the crying box. Untar
this file in /tmp. rpm -Uhv --nodeps --oldpackage *rpm. 20 min later.
;-)