Preallocation and Ferris

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Preallocation and Ferris
From: monkeyiq <monkeyiq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 22:23:15 +1000
Cc: monkeyiq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,
  A while back I was talking about adding preallocation support to
ferris. I didn't get around to adding it at the time, though the
doco seems much better now and I have an application which would
be greatly enhanced using it.

I have found the calls in xfs(5)
XFS_IOC_FSGETXATTR
XFS_IOC_RESVSP64
XFS_IOC_UNRESVSP64

I am thinking of adding an interface though Ferris using both
Ferris' support for arbitrary creation arguments
(see http://witme.sourceforge.net/ferriscreate.paper2001/ )
and also creating a "fake" EA for preallocation-eof
which can be set to whatever size is wanted in the preallocation.
The main question I have here is how to obtain the current
amount of space that is preallocated in the file and not used.

It seems from RTFM that XFS_IOC_FSGETXATTR only tells if
preallocation is being used. If I can tell how much space
a file has preallocated at eof then I can add a new EA and
edit it with the client shown here:
http://witme.sourceforge.net/libferris.web/Ego-Jan-2002-1.png

This would allow a nice interface for preallocation and make
scripting easy to be able to check for files that have been
written but are smaller than the space originally preallocated
to them.

Thoughts?

http://witme.sourceforge.net/libferris.web/index.html