Re: How long should an xfs_freeze take?

To: Chris Pascoe <c.pascoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: How long should an xfs_freeze take?
From: Stephen Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 07:47:38 -0600
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Chris Pascoe wrote:

Hi,

I'm guessing an xfs_freeze shouldn't take this long, am I correct?

# time xfs_freeze -f /tst1

real    344m40.434s
user    0m0.000s
sys     340m40.810s

The system is a Dual CPU P3 Xeon with 1GB RAM (highmem enabled), running
2.4.17 CVS, taken on 2002/01/23 (just before the -funsigned-char changes
went through), with LVM 1.0.2 added (I see the same behaviour with 1.0.1,
though).

How long freeze takes depends on how much data is dirty in the filesystem, it should take a similar time to an unmount. However, unless this was a very large and dirty filesystem this feels like a long time - although it was all system time,
so something was going on.

The spot you kept seeing on the stack does not make much sense, vn_count is
basically an atomic_read.

How repeatable is this?
Steve