Re: -aa series compatibility

To: Austin Gonyou <austin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: -aa series compatibility
From: Stephen Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 21:01:43 -0600
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Eric Sandeen wrote:

On 25 Jan 2002, Austin Gonyou wrote:

Given that I spent a lot of time getting a XFS enabled kernel merged
with -aa series kernel, I'd like to ask if anyone else has tried out the
-aa series without XFS? If so, and you have liked what you
see/use/whatever, I'd like to ask SGI if there is a way to work-out
between the XFS tree and -AA tree a possibly easier migration path.

Austin -

Rather than just applying the patch directly and dealing with the rejects,
you might try the "mergetrees" tool to do this, you just do:

mergetrees linux-aa/ linux-linus/ linux-xfs/ linux-aa-xfs/

and it will merge your aa tree with the xfs tree and produce an aa-xfs
tree ("linux-aa,", "linux-linus,", and "linux-xfs" are all the same base
kernel - say, 2.4.17 - with the -aa or -xfs (or no) patches.)

You'll get a list of conflicts, and the conflicts are marked _in_ the
source files, making it much easier to resolve.

-Eric

Mergetrees comes from here:

http://cvs.bofh.asn.au/mergetrees/

Steve