Re: Shrinking an XFS filesystem is a crucial feature!

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Shrinking an XFS filesystem is a crucial feature!
From: erich@xxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 17:09:21 -0800
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Michael Stone <mstone@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 03:41:17PM -0600, Austin Gonyou wrote:
> > That said, I was merely trying to offer what I believe the target
> > audience will want. It seems that the target audience would be those
> > using Veritas and the like. Sorry for rubbing you the wrong way, I don't
>
> As a counterpoint, I'd consider at least part of the target audience to
> be people who need really big, really fast filesystems. In that audience
> there's not a lot of demand for shrinking: people want as much space as
> possible, usually in really big chunks. The space is allocated carefully
> so partitions are aligned across very large disk arrays in order to
> maximize performance.  If you shrink your volume you're going to lose
> that alignment.

I would have to agree with Austin in the general sense that, to be a
viable long-term solution, filesystems (especially clustered ones like
XFS claims to have a mode for in it's commercial form...  I've never
seen it so can't comment) will have to run on systems that are/have:

  --  meant to be easily reconfigured with only a short reboot
  or
  --  hot-swap hardware allowing addition and removal of parts over
      time

If your system requirements go down over time, then rebuilding
everything from scratch/backup/restore is a major pain.

--
    Erich Stefan Boleyn     <erich@xxxxxxxx>     http://www.uruk.org/
"Reality is truly stranger than fiction; Probably why fiction is so popular"