Re: XFS Inode Size question.

To: Linux XFS List <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS Inode Size question.
From: Nathan Straz <nstraz@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 14:35:38 -0600
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 12:34:20PM -0600, Austin Gonyou wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-01-21 at 12:30, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> > On 21 Jan 2002, Austin Gonyou wrote:
> > > Using isag, I can go look at what the system history is. One thing
> > > I've seen is that under inode status, the inode size is very high.
> > > I'm not sure what this means particularly. Could somone offer
> > > information around this? I start to see this behaviour after about
> > > 1-2 hours of running the AIM DB benchmark test.
> >
> > Can you be a little more specific?  I'm not sure what you mean by
> > "the inode size is very high."  What does isag mean by "inode size"
> > (xfs inode size is fixed at mkfs time) and what are the numbers?
> >
> I was hoping someone could run isag real quick and see what I'm talking
> about. I'm not sure what it means, and the man page isn't the best.

I installed it and took a look at it.  I think it's a matter of poorly
chosen labels.  Here's the trip...

inode-sz        (label in inode status graph of isag)
inode_used      (field stored by sysstat)
field 1 from /proc/sys/fs/inode-state (as seen in sadc.c:1165)
inodes_stat     (from linux/kernel/sysctl.c:295)
inodes_stat_t.nr_inodes (from linux/include/linux/fs.h:57)

I'm not too familiar with the places that inodes_stat is used.  It
appears more like the in-kernel inodes that are available.

I'll let someone with more understanding of the kernel internals finish
the answer.

--
Nate Straz                                              nstraz@xxxxxxx
sgi, inc                                           http://www.sgi.com/