Re: Shrinking an XFS filesystem is a crucial feature!

To: Derek Glidden <dglidden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Shrinking an XFS filesystem is a crucial feature!
From: Austin Gonyou <austin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 19 Jan 2002 02:08:00 -0600
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Think of it like this. For those who use Veritas, there are quite a few,
and manage "enterprise class" systems, Veritas HAS shrink and grow,
despite how well people planned.

The need is more along the lines that if you have a highly dynamic
environment which you must tailor to fit a rapid growth pattern,
regardless if you tried to plan for it or how well, sometimes the need
arises to resize file systems. Regardless of which direction + or -.

That said, for those wishing to change from Veritas and use something
"free" or Open Source, or cheap, whatever, they'll be looking for the
same things they can get out of whatever they're trying to replace.

If you're looking to switch from Veritas or whatever else, then most
likely you'll want to be able to shrink and grow FS. Not to mention not
all people who use Veritas are running "enterprise class" systems. They
may not want to PAY for the extra disk space, or may want to shrink a
volume which will be recycled for a different purpose. Rather than
re-striping, or relaying the FS, one could merely shrink it and just
migrate data off of that volume, rather than looking at "down time" or
"service outages".

Think of those things too.

--
Austin Gonyou