Shrinking an XFS filesystem is a crucial feature!

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Shrinking an XFS filesystem is a crucial feature!
From: karlheg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Karl M. Hegbloom)
Date: 18 Jan 2002 15:08:23 -0800
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
 I think that the ability to shrink an XFS filesystem is a crucial
 feature that really should be implemented.  I wish I was capable of
 doing so.  If I dedicated myself to just that task, I estimate it
 would be two years before I can code that.  I'm just not that good
 yet.

 The other thing that XFS desparetly needs is a "fsck" or "xfs_repair"
 that can be run on a read-only mounted filesystem.

 I had visions of using XFS on LVM volumes for our product.  I would
 like to start with some default LV sizes, and have the ability to
 shrink and grow them as needed to meet individual requirements.  For
 this, I will need to use ext3fs.  (and very stable LVM; still
 learning about it.)

--
mailto: (Karl M. Hegbloom) karlheg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Free the Software  http://www.debian.org/social_contract