Re: xfsdump dumps core?

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: xfsdump dumps core?
From: ringram@xxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 16:36:04 +0000
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Mike Burger wrote:

> Pentium II 300MHz, 256MB RAM, /home is approximately a 14GB partition, but
> with only 2.4GB used.  Running the kernel-2.4.14-SGI_XFS_1.0.2 rpm
> downloaded from SGI.
>
> xfsprogs-1.3.13-0, xfsdump-1.1.7-0.
>
> The tape drive is an HP Colorado 8GB IDE drive, being accessed via the
> ide-scsi module.
>
> I can "mt -f /dev/nst0 erase" without any errors.
>
> I'm running the following command (please note that "slide" is an sudo
> like utility), and getting the following output:
>
> [mburger@burgers mburger]$ slide xfsdump -m -b 4096 -o -l 0 -F -f /dev/nst0
> /home
> xfsdump: version 3.0 - Running single-threaded
> xfsdump: WARNING: no session label specified
> xfsdump: saving user quota information for: /home
> xfsdump: WARNING: overwriting: /home/xfsdump_quotas
> xfsdump: WARNING: most recent level 0 dump was interrupted, but not
> resuming that dump since resume (-R) option not specified
> xfsdump: level 0 dump of burgers.bubbanfriends.org:/home
> xfsdump: dump date: Thu Jan 17 17:21:49 2002
> xfsdump: session id: c941cbfd-b628-403d-819d-b9f1ee1796a5
> xfsdump: session label: ""
> xfsdump: ino map phase 1: skipping (no subtrees specified)
> xfsdump: ino map phase 2: constructing initial dump list
> xfsdump: ino map phase 3: skipping (no pruning necessary)
> xfsdump: ino map phase 4: skipping (size estimated in phase 2)
> xfsdump: ino map phase 5: skipping (only one dump stream)
> xfsdump: ino map construction complete
> xfsdump: estimated dump size: 2570099456 bytes
> xfsdump: preparing drive
> xfsdump: WARNING: media may contain data. Overwrite option specified
> xfsdump: WARNING: no media label specified
> xfsdump: creating dump session media file 0 (media 0, file 0)
> xfsdump: dumping ino map
> xfsdump: drive_minrmt.c:1862: do_get_write_buf: Assertion
> `contextp->dc_nextp < contextp->dc_recendp' failed.
> Aborted (core dumped)
>
> I'll be more than happy to send the core file if you folks want to look at
> it.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --Mike

I had a very similar error with xfsdump with a HP Colorado 8GB
parallel tape drive that turned out to be a problem with the
driver.  Basically the weof ioctl was broken.  I don't know if
that is also your problem but the problem I posted
(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-xfs&m=99535721114946&w=2)
did at least prompt an upgrade to the xfsdump code so that it
doesn't core dump when it hits that problem.  You should
definitely upgrade.

Russ
--
Russel H. Ingram