Re: Large file I/O error

To: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Large file I/O error
From: Martin Josefsson <gandalf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 21:09:00 +0100 (CET)
Cc: Wessel Dankers <wsl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On 17 Jan 2002, Steve Lord wrote:

> Someone else just pointed out that forced shutdown is overwriting the
> super block - which is not good. There appear to be a bunch of dirty
> buffers with a zero disk address in them left behind. It is being
> worked on.

Just have to say that I can confirm this, I had to run xfs_repair
after a forced shutdown because of major interruptproblems in the machine
so the promise ata-driver complained about irq timeouts all the time...
The superblock was overwritten.

xfs_repair also complained about other files which were ok before the
forced shutdown, and after the shutdown and running xfs_repair they became
corrupt. I don't know if this is an possible XFS problem or something
caused by the interrupt problems. Those files were written some time
before and were possible read from when the forced shutdown occured.

/Martin

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you
with experience.