Question: why does dbench take so much longer to run on XFS then ext2 fi

To: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Question: why does dbench take so much longer to run on XFS then ext2 file system
From: "Philip Chiang" <pchiang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 14:53:50 -0800
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi, I am trying to make comparisons between ext2 and xfs file system. I ran
dbench on my system with 150 clients on the ext2 file system and on the xfs
file system. I ran this test several times, but the results are similar. On
xfs, dbench takes 211 mins to finish. Where on ext2, it takes 60 mins. I want
to ask "why it has such a big difference on the two file system?" One more
note, when dbench is running on xfs, the whole system tag downs, CPU usage is
at 99% all the time, is this normal?

I am using:

2.4.17 kernel

xfs patches for 2.4.17