Re: "No such file or directory" (still) (was Re: file corruption during

To: "Ralf G. R. Bergs" <rabe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: "No such file or directory" (still) (was Re: file corruption during emacs build on XFS logical volume
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: 08 Jan 2002 11:51:07 -0600
Cc: Linux XFS <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 2002-01-08 at 11:15, Ralf G. R. Bergs wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Jan 2002 10:53:41 -0600, Steve Lord wrote:
>
> [...]
> >So all of these are single byte errors in the directory names. From the
>
> Right.
>
> >case we looking into detail on we saw that the name was correct at one
> >point in the code - we managed to create the correct hash, but the
> >directory name block has a single byte error. Once names are layed
> >down into the directory block we never touch them, so there is very
> >little code which has a chance to mess with the bytes.
>
> Hmmmm. I don't like what you're suggesting... :-(

Well, if it was a hardware problem, it is hard to see how it would
only affect file names, and not trash other parts of the fs as well.
I suspect someone is walking on the memory from within XFS, but I
do not at the moment have an idea on how to catch it - but then I
am sat in a meeting right now.

It might be worth getting one more data point we can look at with xfs_db.

Steve