link() messes up file attributes

To: "'linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: link() messes up file attributes
From: "ZINKEVICIUS,MATT (HP-Loveland,ex1)" <matt_zinkevicius@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 20:52:29 -0500
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi gang,

We have been running specSFSv2 (NFS benchmark) against a server running XFS.
All was well previously (kernel 2.4.14), but we recently checked out the XFS
CVS (2002-01-03) and it now fails. The test fails a part of the validation
stage which does the following steps:

1) Create a file (file1) with permissions 666
2) Create a hardlinked file (file2) to file1
3) Check that permissions of file1 are still 666

Step 3 now fails as file1 now has 644 permissions! Using the same kernel we
tried ext2 instead and everything behaved normally. If anybody wants anymore
detail just let me know.

Matt Zinkevicius
Software Engineer
Network Storage Array Solutions