Re: file corruption during emacs build on XFS logical volume

To: Linux XFS <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: file corruption during emacs build on XFS logical volume
From: Sean Neakums <sneakums@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 18:04:52 +0000
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
begin  Austin Gonyou quotation:

> No, It does not guarantee. Also, if you're not on the same Inode the
> file time is different, etc, it's possible to have different md5sums. A
> basic size and file comparison is probably best for what you want to do.

The md5sum of a file is based on its contents only.  The inode has
nothing to do with it.

> Something you can do to test what I'm talking about is copy each of your
> dumps to another name, binfilexyz.1 or something, then compare it's
> md5sum against the original. Those should be the only time they match.

I'm not sure exaclty what you mean by this.  The name of the file is
irrelevant in the computation of the md5sum.

--
 /////////////////  |                  | The spark of a pin
<sneakums@xxxxxxxx> |  (require 'gnu)  | dropping, falling feather-like.