Re: Random Kernel Panic on Boot

To: Ken Murchison <ken@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Random Kernel Panic on Boot
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 18:58:18 +0100 (CET)
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, Ken Murchison wrote:

> Mike Baptiste wrote:
> >
> > I've got a new system I'm working to put into production and I have one
> > nagging problem that I'm trying to resolve and perhaps one of you has
> > seen this or can point me in the right direction.  I know this may not
> > be an XFS problem but since I'm using the XFS installer I figured I'd
> > start here.
>
> [...]
>
> > The problem is this:  When booting either the smp or enterprise kernels
> > (stock RH 2.4.9-XFS from the XFS installer CD), I get random kernel
> > panics.  Maybe 3 out of 4 boots, at varying points in Interactive boot
> > (from LVM activiation forward), I'll get a Kernel Panic from the DAC960
> > driver:
> >
> > DAC960#0: SegmentNumber != SegmentCount
>
> I have the same problem with my quad Xeon.  No problem with RH
> 2.4.3-SGI_XFS_1.0.1 or 2.4.14-SGI_XFS_1.0.2.  I haven't been able to try
> a stock RH 2.4.9-13 (without the XFS bits) because all of my filesystems
> are XFS

I don't think this is XFS related at all. The aacraid driver also broke in
2.4.9. Better stick with something else or patch in a newer dac960 driver.

I think there was a block layer change in 2.4.9 which broke some drivers.
The kernel had to be released soon because of the security issues which
might have caused this slip.

Cheers
Seth