Re: file corruption during emacs build on XFS logical volume

To: Linux XFS <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: file corruption during emacs build on XFS logical volume
From: Sean Neakums <sneakums@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 19:30:46 +0000
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
begin  Steve Lord quotation:

> On Wed, 2002-01-02 at 12:16, Sean Neakums wrote:
>> I'm getting some random file corruption on one of my XFS LVM volumes,
>> leading to things like an emacs binary that is filled with runs of
>> NULs and pieces of deleted files.  I've been able to build
>> successfully on an ext2 logical volume on the same machine with the
>> same kernel.  I've tried both a kernel built from a 2.4.17 and a
>> 2.4.16 CVS pull, built with gcc 2.95.4 from Debian unstable.  I still
>> have a 2.4.14-pre7 lying around, so I'll try an emacs build on that,
>> too.
>>
>> I'm not really sure how to start tracking this down; I don't even
>> have a simple test case to reproduce it apart from doing `apt-get
>> source --build emacs21', so suggestions for things to try and
>> information to gather would be appreciated.
>
> How much memory do you have on this machine, and how many cpus?

256M: two 128M DIMMs.  I ran two passes of memtest a couple days ago
with no errors.  I have one CPU, a PII-450.  The kernel is a UP build,
with Robert Love's preempt patch applied, as was the 2.4.16 kernel.

> And can you tell if the build is doing things in parallel or is just
> single threaded?

I'm certain it's a single-threaded build.  I grepped for -j, and got
nothing except some stuff regarding jpeg libraries.

> I don't think there is much point going back to earlier kernels to
> be honest. I will fire up an emacs build here, on a non-lvm
> partition for starters.

I went back to my 2.4.14-pre7 CVS pull, and the build went perfectly
on the XFS volume.  But it seems that that kernel doesn't have preempt
applied, so I'll rebuild 2.4.17-xfs without the patch, to eliminate
that possibility.

--
 /////////////////  |                  | The spark of a pin
<sneakums@xxxxxxxx> |  (require 'gnu)  | dropping, falling feather-like.