|To:||Austin Gonyou <austin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>|
|Subject:||Re: problem with VMware -XFS guilty one - was: Re: XFS is innocen t|
|From:||Olaf Frączyk <olaf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>|
|Date:||Tue, 22 Jan 2002 18:51:30 +0100|
|Cc:||Olaf Frączyk <olaf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Stephen Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx|
|In-reply-to:||<1011293832.26356.13.camel@UberGeek>; from email@example.com on Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 19:57:12 +0100|
On 2002.01.17 19:57:12 +0100 Austin Gonyou wrote:
Go the drive maker's web site and see if they have a diagnostic utility you boot from a floppy(will probably be dos based, so be prepared), and run that. That is the ONLY way to tell if it's truly bad or not.
So I summarize a little below:
1. I took DFT (Drive fitness test) from IBM and tested these disks.
The tests took several hours, but no error was found.
2. I putted my old mb (intel 440BX + celeron)
And .. crash.
So I was wrong, and it is not related to VIA or AMD chips.
3. About the time I changed my motherboard I also changed vmware version.
So Vmware 2.0 worked OK, 3.0-beta- 99% OK (AFAIR), 3.0 - crashes.
4. If I use ext2 filesystem for /tmp all things (including vmware) work perfectly.
5. If I use xfs for /tmp, then vmware on some partitons works OK (sda4), on some other crashes (sdb3 and sdb6). It crashes in less than 1 minute (about 20-30 seconds).
6. All other things work OK regardless if I use xfs or ext2. I also played
quite hard with the /tmp partition - tarring and untarring big things under load (about 3).
7. It all happens on kernels 2.4.5 and 2.4.17.
So, what do you suggest to try next?
|<Prev in Thread]||Current Thread||[Next in Thread>|
|Previous by Date:||TAKE - merge up to 2.5.3-pre3, Steve Lord|
|Next by Date:||Re: problem with VMware -XFS guilty one - was: Re: XFS is innocen t, Steve Lord|
|Previous by Thread:||Re: problem with VMware -XFS guilty one - was: Re: XFS is innocen t, Austin Gonyou|
|Next by Thread:||Re: problem with VMware -XFS guilty one - was: Re: XFS is innocen t, Steve Lord|
|Indexes:||[Date] [Thread] [Top] [All Lists]|