Re: Partition un(mount|repairable)

To: Jason White <jasonjgw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Partition un(mount|repairable)
From: Stephen Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 21:37:33 -0600
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Jason White wrote:

Deti Fliegl writes:
> Hi
> > some days ago one of our systems crashed due to a defective CPU cooler.
> The XFS filesystem on it now is unmountable and unrepairable:
> imap claims in-use inode 686650 is free, correcting imap
> imap claims in-use inode 686651 is free, correcting imap
> imap claims in-use inode 686652 is free, correcting imap
> imap claims in-use inode 686653 is free, correcting imap
> imap claims in-use inode 686654 is free, correcting imap
> imap claims in-use inode 686655 is free, correcting imap
> avl_insert: Warning! duplicate range [0xbee40,0xbee80)
> > fatal error -- xfs_repair: duplicate inode range

Any suggestions as to how the damage was done in the first place -
what the bug is?

Not as yet, but there have now been two cases of filesystems ending up
confusing repair like this.

There have been worrying reports of data corruption over the last few
weeks, and I am sure the developers are trying to track them down. My
own system hasn't been used much recently as I have been away on
holiday, but I booted it this morning and everything seemed fine
(running Linux 2.4.17-xfs as downloaded from CVS at the end of last
year).

I would say it is partially as xfs gets more exposure it gets tried on more
combinations of hardware and software (compilers). I am not aware of
any 'data corruption' issues remaining (emacs builds should be fixed,
and the fsx-linux program runs fine for me for 24 hours - I believe it
was been run in a patched kernel).

The directory corruption issues do concern me, and I have to admit to being
baffled right now, but the vast majority of users do not see any problems
at all.

Steve