Re: Unable to get XFS, ext3, reiserfs & LVM to coexist happily

To: Adrian Head <ahead@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Unable to get XFS, ext3, reiserfs & LVM to coexist happily
From: Andreas Dilger <adilger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 17:38:19 -0700
Cc: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>, Linux XFS <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-lvm@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Jan 04, 2002  10:15 +1000, Adrian Head wrote:
> Note: becareful when mounting an XFS snaphot without using "mount -t xfs"
> otherwise i have found it will mount the snapshot as resierfs.
> See http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-xfs&m=100994490716530&w=2 for more
> info on this.

This is because the reiserfs superblock is 64kB into the filesystem, and it
appears that the mkfs.xfs does not overwrite this part of the disk.  I have
heard of another person with this same problem.  It would probably behoove
the XFS folks to zero the first and last 128kB of a partition when doing
mkfs.xfs to avoid this sort of problem.

For mkfs.ext2, it will zero the first 4kB, overwrite the next tens of kB,
and also zero the last 128kB.  I should probably make sure that it will
_always_ overwrite at least the first 68kB, but with the default parameters
it will at least do so except on the smallest of filesystems (i.e. floppies).

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger