Re: XFS dying when many processes copy many files/directories

To: cradeke <chrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS dying when many processes copy many files/directories
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Date: 27 Dec 2001 11:28:25 -0600
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 2001-12-27 at 06:25, cradeke wrote:

> Your simple test shows that there is a real problem
> with
> xfs which should be solved quickly. After such a kupdated amok running
> opened
> files are filled with @'s and any change or creation of new files are
> lost.

These are probably only slightly related; if xfs gets wedged such that
it can't flush file data to disk, then your "@" problem is the same as
what is explained in the FAQ.  You're just shutting off the computer
before data is committed.

The root problem is whatever is causing xfs to get hung up.  Many of
these issues were solved recently; you should try a cvs snapshot to see
if your problem goes away.  We'll try Adrian's test when we get back to
work after the break.

-Eric