Re: xfs root + lvm [OT?]

To: pelux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: xfs root + lvm [OT?]
From: Stephen Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 07:20:36 -0600
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Stefano Peluchetti wrote:

It could be OT.. anyway i could'nt  find any other place to ask that .
I want to use a root xfs partition at the top of a LV.
I don't know if it is possible (in the only howto i have found the /boot dir is outside the LV)...and i also can' t understand why i have to use the lvmcrate_initrd command! If i load the lvm support in kernel (not module!) i can't see the prob. It chould be like mounting a xfs root partition (where you need kernel (NOT MODULE) support).
Or am i missing something?
This becouse i don't like to have lot of partition! I want to have everything in my LV.
Thanks for help! :)
Stefano

I think there is user space initialization required for lvm volumes - the config of the volume has to be loaded into the kernel from user space. This is the way it was the last time I heard Heinz talk, it may no longer be true. However if it is the case you need a bootstrap mechanism to get the root lvm volume configured before you can
mount it.

Steve