Re: xfsrestore forgets to set owner/perm on .

To: ivanr@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: xfsrestore forgets to set owner/perm on .
From: "Bernhard R. Erdmann" <be@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 00:59:28 +0100
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Yeah, that occurred to me a moment or two after I sent the mail.  What
> could be done here is just 'xfsrestore - /bla/tmp' then 'mv /bla/tmp/*
> /bla' .. but that is starting to get a little ugly.

It is ugly. You would not have moved these nice little dotfiles you
spent half your life on. You would have to do an extra "mv
/bla/tmp/.[!.]* /bla".

> My next question is, why do you dd to and from the tape, rather than let
> xfsdump and xfsrestore access the tape directly?

Because I seldom write directly to tapes. This is Amanda's job. Amanda
writes dump/tar images in 32KB blocks to the drive starting with a 32KB
ASCII text header describing the image and how to get it back from tape.