Re: xfsrestore forgets to set owner/perm on .

Subject: Re: xfsrestore forgets to set owner/perm on .
From: "Bernhard R. Erdmann" <be@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 00:29:47 +0100
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Perhaps what could be done is if you specify a destination directory that
> does not exist, xfsrestore could create it and then assign the appropriate
> ownership and permissions.  IIRC, at the moment if the destination
> directory does not exist, xfsrestore just complains and exits.

That would not be a solution. Consider having extra filesystems for /var
and /var/spool/news. If you want to restore them from tape

- fdisk && reboot or lvcreate
- mkfs.xfs
- mount /bla
- dd if=$TAPE ibs=32k | xfsrestore - /bla

The directory to set permissions on _does_ exist. It must exist to mount
an another filesystem onto it.

> Hmm, I'll have to check whether xfsdump even includes the root directory
> info in the dump...

Certainly. "No one cares if you backup - only if you can restore." (W.
Curtis Preston, Unix Backup & Recovery, O'Reilly)