pivot_root

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: pivot_root
From: Derek Richardson <derek.richardson@xxxxxxx>
Date: 30 Nov 2001 11:52:42 -0600
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
All,
I did a "Everything" Redhat 7.1 install, applied all patches from RedHat
(which I think there might be a problem w/ the util-linux package,
because I've got another box, virtually identical in configuration,
except using an older RPM of util-linux, that doesn't have this
problem), and then installed the following SGI RPMs :
acl-1.0.7-0.i386.rpm
acl-devel-1.0.7-0.i386.rpm
anaconda-7.1-7XFS.i386.rpm
anaconda-runtime-7.1-7XFS.i386.rpm
attr-1.0.3-0.i386.rpm
attr-devel-1.0.3-0.i386.rpm
devfsd-1.3.11-sgi.i386.rpm
dmapi-0.1.1-0.i386.rpm
dmapi-devel-0.1.1-0.i386.rpm
kernel-doc-2.4.9-13SGI_XFS_PR1.i386.rpm
kernel-smp-2.4.9-13SGI_XFS_PR1.i686.rpm
kernel-source-2.4.9-13SGI_XFS_PR1.i386.rpm
quota-3.01-pre7.i386.rpm
xfsdump-1.0.9-0.i386.rpm
xfsprogs-1.2.8-0.i386.rpm
xfsprogs-devel-1.2.8-0.i386.rpm

since the kernel RPM calls /sbin/new-kernel-pkg, this creates the initrd
for me, and all what I've done is edit lilo.conf, execute lilo, and when
booting, I get the following :

Mounting root filesystem
pivotroot:pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd)failed:2
freeing unused kernel memory : 240k freed
kernel panic: no init found
try passing init= option to kernel

this has really got me, since I have a number of other boxes running w/
the same RPMs, and pretty much all the same updates as this box (though,
like I mentioned earlier, I am in the process of getting a box to use w/
that util-linux RPM, which does include /sbin/pivot_root, this might
solve problem).  Has anyone else seen this?  What exactly is it?  I know
the general context of pivot_root, it moves from the read-only
filesystem to read-write, and I've read that it has tie-ins w/ devfs,
but haven't gotten this figured out yet.
Also, I've seen the posting that XFS needs 2.95.3 gcc, what about the
above kernel, if I'm building from source?  I know at the time it was
released was right about/a little before the switch to 2.95.3, should I
just stick w/ the default version, or use 2.95.3?
Thanks in advance!
Regards,
Derek R.
--