LVM, XFS and the Redhat installer

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: LVM, XFS and the Redhat installer
From: Alexander Bergolth <leo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 01:25:05 +0100
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi!

I'd like to migrate a Redhat 7.2 system to one lvm and xfs.
I'd prefer having one physical volume containing one volume group
with logical volumes containing only xfs filesystems (including /,
/usr, etc.).

The only thing that bothers me is: Will it be possible to upgrade
the system (e.g. to a future Redhat 7.3) using SGI's version of the
Redhat installer? Will the installer recognize the filesystems that are
inside lvm logical volumes? (I don't want to ask you about any
predictions about the future capabilities of the Redhat installer but
is there any way to do such an upgrade using the current installer?)

Thanks in advance,
--leo

Alexander (Leo) Bergolth                          leo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
WU-Wien - Zentrum fuer Informatikdienste       http://leo.wu-wien.ac.at
Info Center
                 Computers are like air conditioners -
           they stop working properly when you open Windows