Re: Recommendations for an Linux/XFS based NFS file server?

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Recommendations for an Linux/XFS based NFS file server?
From: Martin Spott <Martin.Spott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 16:45:48 +0100 (MET)
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
> We have a FC RAID box that we are using for storage with NFS as the
> access method.  We are using qlogic 2200 FC cards.  The qlogic work
> well, but I have no experience with other cards.

Aaaaah, _that_ becomes really interesting.
I've already set up two different machines with 400 GByte FC disk space and
1 GByte RAM.
Both have an Infortrend FC-contoller at the other end of the cable. On the
first system I tried to get a Interphase 5526 running. Without success.
Usually the system hang at the first occurrence of heavy load. You should
avoid this controller. It's very expensive and it doesn't work with large
storage under Linux.
Afterwards we switched to Qlogic QLA2100, using the driver provided with
Linus' 2.2.17. The system has dual PII/450 (os so) on a somewhat 'usual'
dual-proc mainboard. That one runs _really_ stable.

After these experiences we built another system, pretty the same Infortrend
controller, QLA2200 and an ASUS CUR-DLS mainboard with dual PIII/933, 1
GByte registered (SD-?)RAM (Kingston) in one slot.
We put a copy of the first system onto the disks.
Every time I ran a SMP kernel, the system crashed usually within the first
two days, at least after about 5 days it will reset (and automagically
reboot) itself. I've already tried 4 different kernels and 4 different
drivers for the QLA2200. The system is absolutely stable with one CPU.

I've not seen _any_ report of hardware incompatibilites with this mainboard/
FC-controller. But there _is_ something,

Martin.