Re: Recommendations for an Linux/XFS based NFS file server?

To: James Pearson <james-p@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Recommendations for an Linux/XFS based NFS file server?
From: Craig Tierney <ctierney@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 09:24:23 -0700
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
What performance do you want to get out of your NFS server (MB/s or
transactions/sec).  How many clients do you expect to have connected
at one time?

We have a FC RAID box that we are using for storage with NFS as the
access method.  We are using qlogic 2200 FC cards.  The qlogic work
well, but I have no experience with other cards.  We are using
Netgear GigE cards to connect to the system.  I have heard that
the Intel and SysKonnect cards may be better (offload more of the
processing to the card).

We are using Dell 2550 dual 1Ghz PIII boxes.  The problem with these
is that the driver for the onboard GigE chip, Broadcom, isn't that good.
So now I don't get to use the 2nd PCI bus and I have to share the one
available with the FC card and the GigE card.

I have not come up with a stable setup yet though.  I think I have
it now, but it isn't using xfs.  I can get the nfs server to fail
when 20 clients are reading and writing large file simultaneously.
The ext3 system doesn't have this problem.  I reported the problem
recently and I hope the xfs team can find a fix (they have for my
other problems).  When I was only having 8 clients or so read/write
to the system I do not recall seeing the nfs server fail.

Craig

--
Craig Tierney (ctierney@xxxxxxxx)