RE: Patching 2.4.14 with ext3 and xfs?

To: Vernon Fort <vfort@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Patching 2.4.14 with ext3 and xfs?
From: Thomas Duffy <Thomas.Duffy.99@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 20 Nov 2001 23:57:19 -0800
Cc: "'linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 2001-11-19 at 16:19, Vernon Fort wrote:
> After researching on "how-to-patch" ext3 and xfs, I have been enlightened on
> the current status of ext3.  Am I correct in stating it is still in beta (so
> to speak) and considered "Experimental" in the linux-2.4.15 kernel.  From
> what I have read, there are a few issues (stability wise) with ext3 so maybe
> it's not such a good idea using this file system.  I admit I am no expert
> but I usually stick with software that works, works well and integrates with
> ease.  I have successfully compiled the 2.4.13 kernel with xfs and jfs and
> created partitions on the same server using ext2, reiserfs, jfs and xfs (I
> know - it sounds silly but I was testing).

stability-wise, I would have to say that xfs and ext3 are probably on
the same page (in Linux). of course, xfs has had a longer history in
IRIX.

>   My whole intension was to see if I could use ext3 (I prefer the RedHat
> distribution of Linux) as the base file system of /, /usr, /var and use
> either reiserfs or xfs ( I'm leaning towards xfs) for a very large samba
> share.  I like the ACL stuff in the xfs.  I have used ext3 on a
> semi-production server running as a mail hub and have noticed some very odd
> errors reported from the MTA ( locking and file system full when its not).

this is not odd...good to test everything out....

>   I have used xfs over the past 3-4 months and it's noticeable faster then
> reiserfs in some applications, GREAT SOFTWARE!!!!.  My real question is I'm
> and thinking of using the ext2 file system for / and /usr (primarily for
> recovery reasons and it a standard and proven file system) and xfs for
> everything else - OR - should I use xfs for everything.  Any thoughts would
> be greatly appreciated!

we use XFS for everything on all our critical servers and workstations.
it is rock solid and not an issue at all.  It is running on our perforce
source server which has a ton of data on it.  I would not worry about
putting it on your / or /usr. xfs has a proven set of tools that work
extremely well for backup and recovery.

> Vernon Fort

ps.  please do not post to the list using Lookout.  it does not set the
referrals correctly and therefor fucks up threading in sane email
clients.