Re: TAKE - xfsdump new exclude files feature

To: Ethan Benson <erbenson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: TAKE - xfsdump new exclude files feature
From: ivanr@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 17:13:55 +1100
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 06:33:26PM +1100, Ivan Rayner wrote:
> > This enables xfsdump to exclude files from the dump based on whether the
> > files
> > have a particular extended attribute set.  (Note: this is not the same as
> > the
> > chattr nodump attribute.)
>
> just out of curiosity, would it be possible to set things up so
> whatever call chattr +d makes is mapped to adding this extended
> attribute?  or would this be better solved in userspace (inside
> chattr)?
>
> consistency is good, it would be nice if you can use the same commands
> to accomplish things like this without having to worry about what
> filesystem you have living under the particular file/directory.

Consistency is a good thing, it just depends on what you're being
consistent with ... chattr doesn't exist in IRIX, the nodump flag that
ext2 uses doesn't exist in XFS, the flags variable where ext2 keeps this
info also (kinda) doesn't exist in XFS, and the chattr program is ext2
specific.

While I'm sure we could make chattr work with XFS (it is all just code
after all) it would probably break the on-disk IRIX/Linux compatibility
story and it would also mean that xfsdump would have different behaviours
between the two versions.  Even if we did implement chattr -d, the same
problems will arise for most of the other attributes chattr can change.

Also, I believe that the ext2 nodump flag can be applied to directories
which I have a philosophical objection to.

Anyway, the upshot is that this isn't a simple thing to do, and there are
unwelcome consequences.  It'd be much easier for someone to write a simple
wrapper script which called chattr or attr depending on the filesystem
they're using.

Ivan

--
Ivan Rayner