Re: Q: Filesystem block sizes available?

Subject: Re: Q: Filesystem block sizes available?
From: Nathan Straz <nstraz@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 10:16:59 -0600
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 09:13:11AM -0700, D. Stimits wrote:
> FYI, I've managed to get just over 30 MB/sec sustained (read; write
> isn't too far off; both XFS and ext2 do well with average size files) on
> a good 10K rpm U160 scsi drive (64 bit 66 MHz bus) if conditions are
> right...no raid at all. With 5 drives on RAID 0 and your hardware specs,
> can't imagine not getting far better than you get now. It sure sounds
> like something is wrong.

Why?  IIRC, RAID0 is just concatenated disks.  You're not going to get a
speed boost out of it.  Not until RAID1 (mirrored) will you start seeing
a speed boost.

--
Nate Straz                                              nstraz@xxxxxxx
sgi, inc                                           http://www.sgi.com/