Re: XFS and preemptive kernel patch

Subject: Re: XFS and preemptive kernel patch
From: Federico Sevilla III <jijo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 12:37:26 +0800 (PHT)
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, 10 Nov 2001 at 10:27, Anuradha Ratnaweera wrote:
> Notice that a "pure" server is very much different from a
> firewall/router.  A firewall with a transparent proxy should be able
> to switch packets even when loaded by other processes.

The concept of kernel preemption seemed simple, but it's fine lines like
this that boggle me. Or perhaps it's only a fine line to me. Hahaha. I'll
take it from you, anyway. :)

> Do you mean XFS code can be preemptible at _kernel_ space?

I'm not sure, either. As far as I remember the XFS code (kernel space) was
modified to be preemptible. Exactly what gets preempted is beyond me. I
hope the XFS gurus can help us out with this (maybe this is worth a FAQ
entry, Seth?). :)

 --> Jijo

--
Federico Sevilla III  :: jijo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Network Administrator :: The Leather Collection, Inc.