Re: XFS and preemptive kernel patch

Subject: Re: XFS and preemptive kernel patch
From: Federico Sevilla III <jijo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 09:54:04 +0800 (PHT)
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 9 Nov 2001 at 15:12, Anuradha Ratnaweera wrote:
> Is anybody using XFS with preemptive kernel patch?  Since I don't have
> any "non-production" machines to do a test, any feedback would be very
> useful.

I've been using Robert M. Love's preempt patches since 2.4.10 I think (or
was it 2.4.12?) on workstations and a production server that I run X off
often and it's improved responsiveness a lot. On the server I decided not
to include RML's patch for 2.4.14 and I noticed the lack of responsiveness
during peak hours. I'll put his patch back in when 2.4.15 gets out. ;>

So yes, it's great. But only if you'll be using the machine's console. For
most other server functions the overall kernel throughput will suffer a
bit and really won't be worth it.

 --> Jijo

--
Federico Sevilla III  :: jijo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Network Administrator :: The Leather Collection, Inc.