Re: Compile errors with 2.4.14 kernel

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Compile errors with 2.4.14 kernel
From: "PK Whelan" <pkw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 16:24:57 GMT
Cc: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Unpacking the kernel source again did the trick. I afterwards realized that I had previously applied the ext3 patch and that's what messed things up. The ext3 patch puts those 2 EXPORT_SYMBOL statements in fs/buffer.c when xfs had already put them in kernel/ksym.c (like you had said - there were duplicates).
So, if you're going to apply the xfs and the ext3 patch you'll have to remove those dups in order to compile.
Thanks for the help!
PKW

PK Whelan writes:

Thanks Eric.
I'll try unpacking the source again in case something got messed up and try it again.

Paul

Eric Sandeen writes:

Hi Paul -

Strange... this works fine for me, with your config, with gcc-2.96-98

From the error it _looks_ like EXPORT_SYMBOL(create_empty_buffers) is
somewhere twice, but it's not in my tree... check kernel/check ksysms.c
and fs/buffer.c

This is a brand new 2.4.14 tree patched w/
linux-2.4.14-xfs-2001-11-07.patch.bz2?

-Eric