Re: More testing RPMs

To: Mike Burger <mburger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: More testing RPMs
From: Theo Van Dinter <felicity@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 09:57:17 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 07:33:04AM -0500, Mike Burger wrote:
> Can you turn off the memory hole?

# From the original message...
"(the current box is a Compaq w/ no BIOS available at bootup.  The "system
configuration" disks don't give an option for the memory hole...)"

This box is an old Compaq Presario "server".  There is no accessible BIOS
at bootup like on other standard PCs, you have to download the utility
disks from Compaq and boot off them (5x 3.5" floppies).  When I went
through the menus, there were configuration options for a lot of things
(onboard SCSI/network, etc.) but memory was: "640k starting at 0",
"15M starting at 1M", "48M starting at 16M".  No options were able to
be changed.

To install Linux in the first place (with the standard RH 7.1 installer), I
had to do: "mem=exactmap mem=640k@0 mem=63m@1m".

I haven't tried that for the running system, but I'm all set to move the hard
drive from the Presario to another box I have which I know works very well
and avoids the memory hole issue.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
That's not to say that I don't think there are strong arguments for