Re: Linux XFS on Alpha's

To: Mark Pruett <mpruett@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Linux XFS on Alpha's
From: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 09:57:35 +1100
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
hi,

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 02:07:19PM -0800, Mark Pruett wrote:
> Is anyone here using XFS on Linux on the Alpha platform?
> We've been testing both XFS and Reiserfs, and we always
> get problems requiring xfs_repair during power-off tests (where
> we intentionally kill power during disk writes.) We invariably
> lose the directory to which the files were written, and end up
> with a huge number of files in lost+found.

Are you running xfs_repair before log recovery (ie. mount)?
If so, that's bad - you need to mount first so that the journal
can be replayed before you run xfs_repair.

Try also a current (xfsprogs-1.3.12+) version of xfs_repair -
this will warn you if the log is dirty when you try to run
xfs_repair, and will not allow it.

cheers.

--
Nathan