compilation/revision questions

To: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: compilation/revision questions
From: "Erich Liebmann" <e9625216@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 22:41:56 +0200
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
dear technical support,

first of all i want to thank all of you for porting this great
filesystem to linux, it performs great on my linux box.

i used the special redhat 7.1 installer supplied on the webpage to
install my system with xfs. since the kernel that ships with redhat 7.1
is pretty old i downloaded the newest kernel (2.4.12) from kernel.org
and applied the sgi patched supplied on the xfs webpage. everything went
fine and my system boots with the new kernel but i have some questions i
couldn't find on the website:

1. if i update to a new kernel is it necessary/advised to recompile the
userspace tools as well. i couldn't find any relation between the
userspace tool versions and the kernel versions. when is it necessary to
recompile the userspace tools against a newly installed kernel?

2. there are general kernel patches available for the 2.4.12 kernel from
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4 as well as the xfs patches
available from
ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/download/patches/linux-2.4.12-xfs-2001-10
-11.patch.bz2 to enable xfs support. do those patches conflict in any
way? is the order of patching important? are the sgi patches ment to be
installed against the plain 2.4.12 kernel or against the 2.4.12 kernel
including all the latest patches available from ftp.kernel.org?

3. is a special installer supporting xfs installation planed for the
redhat 7.2 release available since a few days? when will this installer
be available?

[sorry for my english but i am not a native speaker]

best regards and thanks in advice
erich liebmann