Re: Daily XFS CVS RPMS

Subject: Re: Daily XFS CVS RPMS
From: "D. Stimits" <stimits@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 17:54:00 -0600
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Robin Humble wrote:

> D. Stimits writes:
> >I haven't tried the newer kernels, but I was under the impression that
> >instead of altering the DRM, a choice was going to be presented to use
> >either the 4.0.x XFree86 version or the 4.1.x XFree86 version, making
>
> The -ac kernels give you a choice, but the Linus kernels only give you
> the new DRM (agpgart) version which doesn't work with XFree 4.0.* and
> hence your tuxracer goes slow. At least mine certainly did :)
> If your distro has XF 4.1.* (any yet?) then a newer kernel isn't a problem.

That sucks, I don't want to lose DRM if I multiboot between kernels that
have 4.1.x and 4.0.x. Somehow I doubt running both versions is easy or
reasonable. I wonder if NVidia has its DRM out yet for 4.1.x (I guess
SGI is a big participant in DRM area).

> >them a choice. Is this patch somehow different?
>
> This patch is pulled from the -ac series and lets you choose to build
> an agpgart kernel module (+ drivers for specific cards) as a version
> suitable for XFree 4.0.* or for XFree 4.1.* ... the idea being that
> it's WAY hard to upgrade your X 'cos of all the dependancies, and
> instead it's easier to downgrade the agpgart in newer kernels to
> match the old XFree4.0.*
> ie. it lets the mainstream (and XFS) kernel have the same choices as
> the Alan Cox kernels.

I've heard there are difficulties in having a kernel that simultaneously
supports both DRM models, though part of it is a matter of naming. I
certainly can't upgrade to any kernel that doesn't have 4.0.x DRM
ability (at least not if NVidia drivers are not available). Since I'm
using XFS, whatever I use has to be XFS as well.

D. Stimits, stimits@xxxxxxxxxx