Re: backport to 2.2

To: Robert Sander <gurubert-news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: backport to 2.2
From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith <b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 08:23:22 -0400
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Robert Sander wrote:
> Would it be very hard to do? Else we would have to switch back to ext2
> losing the journaling option.

If you want journaling on 2.2, go Ext3.  I ran the older, full data
journaling-only releases for over a year without issues.  It's
essentially "double buffering."

Try this kernels:
http://smithconcepts.com/files/ext3/redhat-6.2/2.2.16-21.7.1/

They have the NFS v3 patches and the USB backport.

If you need Hendrick's IDE backport, then try this one:
http://smithconcepts.com/files/ext3/redhat-6.2/2.2.18-0.13/

Note that kernel includes a newer Ext3 version that defaults to
meta-data journaling.  I don't trust meta-data on 2.2 and prefer
full data (although it is better than full data journaling under
2.4).

You'll need a recent version of e2sfprogs (so it is "Ext3 aware").
You can grab them here:
   http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/

All those kernels are from VALinux and packaged by H. J. Lu.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith     mailto:b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx    chat:thebs413
Engineer   AbsoluteValue Systems, Inc.   http://www.linux-wlan.org